One of my favorite cookies, especially around the holidays! My mom’s side of the family is polish so we have always had these.
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 cups pastry flour
- 2 cups jam of your choosing
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the butter, flour and cream cheese until it is fluffy.
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge for an hour.
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough out into a thin, flat piece. Cut the dough into even sized squares. Place jam in the center of each square. Fold the sides of the squares in, pinching the corners together.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until corners just start to brown.
- After they have completely cooled, dust with powdered sugar.
In the picture I used apricot jam, strawberry jam, and fig jam. I would say apricot and raspberry are the most popular. You can also make your own jam.
Cream cheese is a pretty popular filling too:
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoom vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Refrigerate until ready to fill pastries.
You can store these cookies in airtight containers with parchment paper in between the layers or in the fridge. I definitely like to put the cream cheese ones in the fridge.
What is also great about these cookies is you can customize them however you like. You can make them bigger or smaller. I always thought that there was never enough jam in these cookies so I loaded mine up. 😀