- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 15 oz. can pineapple slices in juice, drained
- 1 can seeded black cherries in juice, drained
- 1 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plain yellow corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour honey into a buttered 10 inch cast iron skillet or a pineapple upside down cake pan. Tilt to spread evenly. Top with pineapple and cherries.
- Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with stand mixer until fluffy. Stir in vanilla. In one bowl, whisk together flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until blended. Spread batter over pineapple.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Shield with foil after 45 minutes if necessary to prevent over browning. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto serving platter. Drizzle with honey glaze and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Bring 1/4 cup honey, 1 tablespoon light brown sugar and 1 tablespoon butter to a simmer. Stir lightly. Cook 1 minute, then remove from heat.