- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- In a medium bowl, mix together melted butter, 1 cup sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in molasses. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Blend the flour mixture into the molasses mixture. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough into walnut sized balls and roll in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until tops are cracked. Cool on wire racks.
These are great and I personally don’t think they are overly sweet. They are always a hit at my job.
I use a cookie scoop to make the balls the same size. Mine started cracking right at 8 minutes and I took them out. I cooked some a couple minutes longer and they were overdone.