- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 one inch pieces fresh ginger, peeled and grated, or 2 two inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- Set sauce pan over medium heat. Add coconut oil, sweet potato, 2 pinches of salt and 2 twists of black pepper. Cook until potatoes begin to soften and brown, about 12 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, ginger and coriander and cook until onion softens and the mixture is fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, coconut milk and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are very tender and the liquid has reduced and thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and spoon into bowls. Serve with a squeeze of lime.
I got this recipe from my best friend, Jessica. Very tasty! I doubled the original recipe to get more out of it. I noticed the cook times vary depending on your stove and what you are using to cook. Everything goes faster in my dutch oven. I also noticed when I used my stove and dutch oven I always have to set the heat a little lower than what the recipe calls for, otherwise it cooks too fast and I can’t keep up and before I know it stuff starts burning.
I like a lot of lime juice with mine!
ALSO! Don’t cut jalapenos with your bare hands. Even if you wash your hands several times, touching your eyes will burn really bad. I discovered this as I was taking out my contacts the night I made this. Ha!