- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cups sliced parsnips
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 a head of green cabbage
- 1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups stemmed and chopped rainbow chard
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add squash, onions and parsnips. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes and cabbage. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chard and chickpeas, stirring occasionally, until chard is bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in apple cider vinegar. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Great for winter! Serve with Ricotta Bread
(slightly altered from the Eating Well recipe.